Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Social Media is consuming my life!

Now considering that "media" is my concentration in my communications major, I thought it'd be a great idea to become a little more "social media savvy". Facebook just isn't cutting it anymore, email is great for professional means, but that's all I really do. Sad for someone studying media I know. But that is why I decided to do this blog, as well as twitter. Of course writing this blog is also because I thought it would be a great idea while I'm here in DC, however twitter was just strictly because I figured it would be helpful to learn how to tweet. For my internship, one of the many great things I'll be doing is working on their social media outreach. This includes tweeting about congressional hearings I sit in on, or anything to the affect of the company. For the sake of the American Apparel & Footwear Association (where I'm interning as a media relations intern), I thought I'd get really good at all of this before I start next Tuesday. However, it is with my deepest regret to admit that...I AM A HORRIBLE TWEETER! I don't understand it. You basically just update a "status" all the time. What's the point? "Going to the zoo today was really fun!". Now that MAY or MAY NOT be a good tweet, but HOW am I supposed to know? What I am starting to realize though is that people tweet from the places they are at. "I am currently standing outside of the Capitol". I try to learn from the people that I'm following, and will notice that they update their twitter constantly. So the pattern that I am noticing here is... tweet from the places you are at, and update constantly. Now this is all starting to make sense... Twitter is just an evil scam secretly created by apple so we buy iphones! Everything has to lead to something right? And because of the fact that I don't own my very own iphone, I wont be able to "tweet from the places I'm at, and update constantly", therefore I will never succeed in the great tweeting realm. I've come to this sad realization with great hopes however... maybe my internship will provide me with a really cool "work" iphone! Considering the fact that that'll not happen, I at least must put that on my list of suggestions! :P  

Tonight I have wasted what could have been good quality studying time on improving my blog and twitter account. Ohh social media, its the times like these when I can't help but think how you are just what our thriving economy needs!

I have to cite and do annotations for all of our readings thus far as well as lectures, write two papers and finish reading the book "Fabric of Faithfulness" by tomorrow morning because the author "Steven Garber" will be speaking in class tomorrow. It's 1:35am and not only does Michigan suck, but I have to quite blogging so I can get work done! 

By the way (Or should I say "btw")... Follow me on twitter! :)   @abbeyjaymes38

4 comments:

  1. It's 2:07 am and Michigan still sucks and I'm reading your blog because I'm stuck on my legal research paper due at 10:50 am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that the time it puts on the post is like 3 hours behind actual time. strange.

      Delete
  2. Andy, I hope you were able to finish your legal research paper on time. What exactly is it on? I'd love to know, I enjoy learning what other people are studying. I noticed the incorrect time as well, I will see what I can do tho change that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a memo in support of a motion to sever criminal defendants at a trial. Basically truing to get this woman her own trial. All fake of course but whatever and yes I did get it done.

    ReplyDelete