Monday, February 27, 2012

FPI Reform Update:

In my last post, I blogged about FPI Reform. I mentioned how the federal prisoners were in the process of snagging away a contract to make Air Force jackets. This is also the jacket that the President wears while flying on Air Force One. If obtaining this contract, these inmates would put 100 people at this factory in Olive Hill Kentucky out of a job. Not something that's helping out President Obamas role to create more jobs.

Michael Mansh, the owner of Ashland Sales and Service (the factory in Olive Hill, Kentucky) appeared on Fox & Friends on Thursday February 16th to discuss the need to reform the Federal Prison Indistries (FPI). His main point for this was to bring the viewers attention to the fact that these inmates are a threat to small businesses, just like his. 

As I'm sure those of you who view my blog have noticed, I haven't been blogging much lately. Understanding that this is not a wanted quality of a "good blogger", I figured I'd better get my butt on here and write something! So why not write a lovely update to what I've been doing at work (a reason as to why I've been so busy)?

If you read in my last blog, you'll already know that I had a pretty exciting week two weeks ago. I had the pleasure of working with American Apparel & Footwear Association (AAFA) preparing Michael Mansh for his Fox & Friends interview, as well as talk (or rather sit in on conversations (I AM the intern)) with Fox news producers. I learned all about FPI Reform and realized how big of a deal it is. Especially when the issue went on live on Fox & Friends (my dream job!). As I promised, as soon as I got a video of Michael's interview I would post it on my blog. So here it is!: (you'll have to copy & paste the URL)

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1456503074001/

Also in this post I thought I would throw in an exciting little number :)
One of the guys at AAFA got a call from Michael on Friday (the next day after the F&F interview) saying "we won". Yes, that is right folks! FPI backed out and will no longer be pursuing the contract. There was and still is a very happy 100 workers in the small town in Olive Hill, Kentucky after this news! This past week, Michael Mansh went live again with Fox & Friends for a follow up after the great news. Go to this link to see this interview:

 http://video.foxnews.com/v/1467679971001/

Though we have this very exciting news, you must realize that FPI hasn't stopped. They only really backed off of one factory. There are still other company's just like Olive Hill's that are facing the same threats that they did. Hopefully people will wake up and realize that this issue isn't something that can be pursued any longer. To do this we must reform FPI.

I do want to urge the bringing of your attention to the fact that I, AAFA, and the folks at Olive Hill are not wishing for FPI to go completely without jobs. So being against inmates working is not an issue what so ever. It's just the reducing of unfair advantages that these inmates receive that is wanted.

There are many options to keep these inmates busy. Go to wewear.org, click into the blog and check out the blog post called "Bored in Prison". This will give you some thought out options.

Also, head on over to www.wewearreform.org and sign the petition on the White House web site to urge reform. Then of course, visit wewear.org to not just visit the blog, but check out the whole website! By doing this you all can learn a little bit more about where I am interning! :)

Once February 7th hit and I started my internship and track work course I became one busy person! Hence the reason I haven't written many blog posts. I can't say that I don't enjoy it though, because this experience is so unreal. Plus, I love being busy! I can't stand sitting around doing nothing, I get real antsy :P  So the up beat pace of DC has grown on me pretty quick! Although, I didn't expect it not to :) One of these days I'll blog about CPAC, and put up some of my pictures and videos! Hmm or maybe I'll blog about a weekend I had where I ate dinner sitting next to a certain former President... Hopefully this week sometime! I hope you all have a great work week!

TBA: My Wedding Blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment