Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bag Tax

Yesterday (I didn't write a post yesterday so I'll make up for it today by writing two) we went through orientation learning everything from our building, to the city, to safety tips, and grocery shopping. I'm sure there was more too :)

Now, did you know that in DC when you go shopping they have a "Bag tax"? Yeah I didn't know that either. For every plastic or brown paper bag you use from the store, they charge you 5 cents! That adds up. So thankfully my mom bought me this awesome reusable bag! Thanks mom!

I almost started to feel green and then was like, seriously, I just don't want to pay 5 cents! :P 

So I am trying to be all responsible with the money that I have and come up with some kind of weekly budget. I need to be able to sit down and plan out what I'm going to buy from the grocery store because I really don't want to end up buying all of this food and never eating it. It's pretty hard buying for one person. So that is problem # 1. Problem #2 is that I have to decide weather I want to walk and get my groceries, or have them DELIVERED! Huuuge decision right? So all day yesterday I kept thinking, "walk, deliver, walk, deliver". I mean getting them delivered is just too cool! However, being able to feel my bread to make sure it's the softest one, or making sure I got the biggest piece of fruit is important! This decision is still unmade, I think once I actually have time to sit down and plan out what I want to make then I'll be able to decide. Until then, I'm going to continue to eat nothing else besides string cheese, carrots, and special K cereal. Yeah I need to get on my decision fast...

Yesterday also began our weekend long scavenger hunt! For those of you who didn't know this already, D.C. is made up of 5 quadrants. So the staff made a scavenger hunt for all of us and broke us up into teams where we have to visit one landmark from each quadrant of the city. They made a list of specific landmarks in each quadrants already for us, so all we have to do is decide what we want to see! This is also a competition between all of the teams and will be judged "whos line is it anyway" style. We have to take pictures of us when we get to the landmark and points are given on the most creative photos, and by who ever traveled the farthest. So my team and I started yesterday off by going to the Library of Congress, and the National Botanic Gardens. After visiting those two places we just headed back home because we realized we had no idea where we were going and thought we'd plan it out a little more carefully. So we strategically picked out where we are going, and how far and made a google map. 
 My very own Library of Congress card!

Botanic Gardens :)

So before I venture out into to freezing cold for another day of the scavenger hunt, I just wanted to add my first "cool fact". So cool fact # 1... Did you know that in the Target here in D.C. they have a special escalator for your grocery cart?! Check it out! 





1 comment: